Friday, November 20, 2009

Lots and Lots of Bulbs

This fall we redesigned our front and back yards. It was a huge undertaking requiring the work of many people and the writing of many checks but as much as possible Patrick and I tried to do things ourselves, both to save money and to really own our garden and know it inside and out.

As we worked I fell in love with our little corner lot all over again, and if you've ever fallen out of love with something (or someone?) only to fall in love again, you know how wonderful this can be. Better the second time around, I think.

So good that I was willing to undertake the backbreaking job of planting more than 300 bulbs this month, a final touch if you will. I did it over a week's time, 200 mixed daffodils in one spot, 100 Spanish bluebells in another and a several dozen alliums in yet another.

I had two little helpers, moist soil and fair weather, and now I have the blisters in my palms to prove I did the job. Come spring I expect to be swept off my feet by the show of blues and yellows after a little winter break.

No comments: