Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Raising Foodies Cooking Group 1--Shrimp Fried Rice

Shrimp Fried Rice was our first dinner for the Raising Foodies Cooking Group, and it was a winner. The girls love Chinese and Thai fried rice, so I was pretty sure that if I could get the recipe right they would enjoy this dish from Everyday Food. For some reason cooking ethnic foods intimidates me so this was a big step in expanding my repertoire.

I was also attracted to the all-in-one aspect of course. With lots of carrots, shrimp and egg, this dish has all the protein and veggies I look for in dinner. However, next time I may replace the basmati rice with brown basmati rice and perhaps add some peas to the carrots for more color and extra vegetables.

This was easy to make even with a number of different cooking steps, taking about 30 minutes as the magazine promised.

In my excitement over cooking something brand new I forgot to think about setting the table. Next time I'll plan ahead and make things a little more special with chopsticks and orange slices and fortune cookies for dessert, just like at the Chinese restaurant we love. Maybe even play some Chinese "fairy" music as the girls call it, to make dinner more festive. Festive is definitely what I'm going for when I think of ways to enhance our family's dinnertime.

Instead of typing in the whole recipe, I've taken a picture of it. You can click on the photo to see a larger version and read it.

2 comments:

Laura Friche de Oliveira said...

Hi Patricia, I'm Laura and I just loved your blog! Every little detail is so, so beautiful... I wish all happiness on this world to you and your family :) Bye

erica said...

This recipe looks great! One thing you could try, which was in the recipe for another fried rice dish I used to make, is to cook the rice and veggies, etc., together, then push everything over to one side of the pan, add a bit of oil to the empty side, and scramble the eggs right in the same pan. It only takes a minute or two, and then you can just stir the cooked eggs into the dish (it'll break into pieces as you stir). It'll save you a pan and an extra step!