Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Making of Villa Villekulla

One of the things we wanted to do this summer was make Villa Villekula, that magical, wonderful, whimsical house belonging to the equally wonderful Pippi Longstocking.

Finally the right materials came our way in the form of a stack of white boxes. We watched scenes from the movie to get a better idea of the color scheme, bought big bottles of paint and inexpensive brushes and got to work.

It took about a week to complete as we built the house, cut the doors and windows, worked on one color at a time, added little embellishments like the flower prints and swirls in the paint. Every step of the way was great fun. Truly, from puzzling together our boxes to drawing the windows, painting the walls and shutters, hiding inside (both girls fit), perching Pippi on the roof, and drawing a whole cast of characters to play with, the house has been one of the funnest projects of the season.

I love how this project was informed and inspired by so many other things we've enjoyed this year--the Pippi Longstocking book, the classic movie, the Astrid Lindgren house we visited in Stockholm, the action figures bought at a classic toystore in Sweden. And I also love that it was a collaboration between all of us, with Sabrina leading the way as she usually does when it comes to creative projects. Another cardboard box success.

11 comments:

Quinn said...

I love your new house! It is funny you are talking about this too. My daughter wanted to play the game where you can't touch the floor the other day. If only she just wanted to build the house.

Joslyn said...

oh this is fantastic!!!!!!!

kirsten said...

oh it just makes me want to weep with joy! There ARE kids out there not forced to play in a Disney Princess Tent, and there ARE kids out there reading the amazing Pippi!!! Hip hip hurra!

STEPHANIE. said...

this is adorable! I love it!

Zoe said...

I would love to use a couple of these photos on my blog to link back to this posting if that were alright with you - my blog (Playing by the book, http://www.kuvik.net/ztoft/playingbythebook/) is all about play activities which either inspire our choice of reading or which are themselves inspired by what we're reading and this would be a perfect example. Please let me know if I can use a photo or two and link back to you.

featherbed said...

OMG!! Villa Villekulla was my FAVORITE when I was little!! I totally forgot about it!! This is so cute!! Thanks for bringing back memories!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Fun! I love Pippi!

Chelsea said...

This is great. Pippi was one of my childhood favorites. I introduced her books and movies to my girls a few years back and they now absolutely adore her too. This is a project they would absolutely love!!! Where did you get the cute pippi and horse action figures? They are so fun!

Jeremy said...

Niiiice! I've been reading the Pippi books with my kids at bedtime. My 7yo daughter saw your creation and said, "I want to make Villa Villakulla too!!"

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is soooo cool! I wanted to live there so bad when I was little! And have a big cabinet full of presents to give people on my birthday. Sigh...

LiEr said...

Thanks to your post and amazing villa, I was inspired to check Pippi (the book) out of the library this week to read to my girls. Thank you!