Friday, June 19, 2009

Flying Away


We leave this evening for Europe and will be gone for nearly a month. As tends to happen, despite my best intentions of packing light and keeping cool I've been packing and repacking, shopping in excess, preparing for all eventualities and generally working myself into a frenzy this week. But with a wedding and visits to Madrid, the beach, Stockholm and the Swedish countryside, I had to be super careful about what I decided to bring.

Now, with just a few hours to spare, I'm definitely ready. Backpack full of diapers and snacks and doodads for the 8-hour flight. Suitcases filled with small gifts and well-edited outfits. Some room to spare for goodies I intend to bring back.

I'm excited to get away for a while, and frankly look forward to the break from our routine more than I ever did when I worked outside the home. I'm also looking forward to seeing Europe through different eyes. My children's eyes, my own more seasoned parent's eyes. Two years ago when we were there I was not as interested as I am now in the world of children. I was a relatively inexperienced mom, still eager to reclaim my days of long hours on the beach and late nights on the town. My view is so radically different now as I wander the world with my little clan, and my idea of a good time so much more pure in a way. I wonder how Europe will hold up.

I leave you with a collage of Sabrina's, something she whipped up while I packed. The child is beyond thrilled to be flying so far. This might be the first European trip she really remembers. May it be worthy.

Wishing you all a wonderful start to the summer. See you in a about a month!

6 comments:

Amy@Let's Explore said...

Awesome! Have an amazing trip! :)

Lori said...

have a great trip!!

Courtney said...

bon voyage Patricia!

Joslyn said...

have fun! can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

LobotoME said...

have a great trip! can't wait to hear more~

janice said...

Have a wonderful trip! Looking forward to reading about it when you return!