Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Freshened-up Art Center


We set up this art center nearly a year ago, and even though I regularly go through it to make sure it stays organized and stocked, lately it seemed to need a bit more attention. Some spring weeding, organizing and cleaning and a few additions went a long way to inspiring new projects. I think I'll have to buy a third stool and ask the girls to scootch over so I can join them.

We all really love this set up. It makes it easy to find things, easy to put them away, and easy to move materials to different parts of the house. I've accepted the fact that no matter how enticing I make the art center, we will sometimes want to work at the dining table, on the kitchen floor or at Mommy's feet while she types away.

I'm sure you all recognize the bins, stools and table from IKEA. The plastic baskets and jars are from The Container Store. I love the look of glass jars filled with goodies, but glass is a bit heavy for us to deal with. So these light plastic jars with lids that pop off easily are perfect for now.

12 comments:

laura said...

Looks amazing. No wonder Sabrina loves to do art all day. Nice work mom!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

What a nice space. I like the way you have your bins organized.I can see why you would want to pull up a stool, too!

Anonymous said...

where did you get the wooden bowl from so cute. Love the way you organized it.

Good + Happy Day said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Good + Happy Day said...

Thank you for the nice comments! I'm glad you like the center.

The little wooden bowls are from IKEA as well. They are great for sorting art materials and setting up projects.

STEPHANIE. said...

Looks great! I thought I recognized it from IKEA. I would have loved this space as a child...leaves room for so much creativity and imagination.

Lori said...

what a nice space. :^)

Pink & Green Mama said...

So fun!! I love your new art space. Ikea is the best, half of our house is Ikea :) I want to come play and I'm with you on the plastic beads, they rock.

mme zamar said...

Quelle organisation! Je te tire mon chapeau bas et si un jour tu n'as rien à faire tu pourrais donner quelques leçons de rangement à mes enfants. Ici c'est le chaos.
Bisous.
Anne G-C

Shaka said...

this rules! Thanks for the inspiration!

Robin & Julie said...

What a wonderful space! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Just what I was looking for!!! I already have the IKEA trofast system, I just had no idea about how I would organise the supplies inside the bins!

The clear plastic jars are just perfect, although the container store in not in my country, I wonder if Ikea do plastic jars.....

Thanks again!