Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Santa Sabrina

We celebrated Sabrina's santo (nameday) this past weekend with a pink party just for family. I love celebrating namedays... another excuse to make people feel special, but without any pressure to throw a big party or give important gifts.

We used pretty wrapping paper and construction paper to make garlands and decorate the table. The cake was Sabrina's design--vanilla cake with pink frosting and pink marshmallows. The marshmallows were my sister's idea for Nico's birthday a few weeks ago and delighted Sabrina (and me too!) to no end. We also had one big candle because you must have something to blow out if you're to make a wish.

A few lessons learned:

*It takes very little to give a celebration a theme. Sabrina wanted a pink party. Flowers, construction paper, wrapping paper, a few pink dishes and two drops of food coloring, and, ta-dah, pink party.

*I must start ironing my tablecloths.

*It's important to listen to children about gifts. Sabrina saw the Piggie and Gerald dolls at a store and fell in love with them since she loves the books. I had 50 beautiful, unique, artsy, cool gifts bookmarked I was just aching to order for her, but instead I bought what she longed for. She was so happy and has been playing and sleeping with her friends for days.

9 comments:

susannah said...

i love the cake!!

nicole said...

I absolutely love your blog; I'm so glad I found it. I'm going to catch myself up with the rest of it later today. xx

patricia said...

What a good mama you are, to listen to what she wanted, rather than what you would have liked to give her. It's hard sometimes, but going with our kids' longings is one of the most important things we can do as parents, isn't it?

The pink marshmallows absolutely make that cake!

jk said...

What fabulous ideas! I might have to borrow your pink cake and marshmallow idea for Esme's third birthday in March...love it!

molly said...

what an adorable celebration.

gina said...

I am going to look up namedays - I never heard of them. Sounds special though. I totally agree about with you thoughts on gifts for children!

Lori said...

what a beautiful party! and you’re such a good mom to get her what she really wanted. :^)

meg duerksen said...

that is the sweetest cake.
i just found your site and it's lovely!

onegoldensun said...

What a sweeet party! I am really enjoying your blog, thank you for inspiring!