Friday, January 16, 2009

What I Do ... 1


Here I go... my first What I Do feature.

I love... Our new nature treasure display at home... Perfectly thin sweaters from Madewell...This house... Rex Ray's book... Good news... This photograph. Sabrina has a thing for porcupines and now I do, too!

I write ... About bedtime and morning routines for grown-ups.

I create ... Crafts for a new section of BabyCenter. I'm producing crafts, not just making them, so I'm designing them, writing out the instuctions, shipping them off to be photographed and getting paid for them. I can't believe my luck! I guess that makes me a professional crafter ... I cooked up a huge pot of Boeuf Bourguignon with beef stock made from scratch by Patrick. It's perfect for dinner on cold days like these.

I read ... The Condition by Jennifer Haigh. I love the desciptions of a family vacation on Cape Cod, it so reminds me of our last summer vacation as well as those of my childhood, that feeling of returning to the same place year after year ... the habit of being, a blog I just discovered and can't get enough of. I love the photostream too ... The Not So Big Life by Sarah Suzanka, in which she talks about simplifying, creating flow, living in the present moment, making time and room for what matters ... The Nie Nie Dialogues. Welcome back, Stephanie!

I watch ... Life on Mars, the British version. I have a big crush on John Simm. He just looks so cute in those 70s leather jackets and tight shirts ... My Kid Could Paint That. I very much liked this documentary about a four-year-old artist. Marla Olmstead is a cutie pie who reminds me of my own little artist Sabrina. And her paintings, whether produced with a little encouragement from Daddy or not, are fabulous!

I listen ... To Kelly Corrigan's reading of her essay about women's friendships and am so moved by her words ... In the car I've got the audio version of The Not So Big Life. It's simple and inspiring in the best of ways, pointing the way I already know I want to follow.


4 comments:

mariah@playful learning said...

Thank you for sharing more of yourself... I have enjoyed your blog for awhile now and appreciate this new dimension. I have been processing the idea of sharing more of me as well...

laura said...

I LOVE IT! this is what I have been waiting for. You have so much more to share, and such a beautiful voice, i cannot wait to read this every day. you inspire me so much.

and i am almost giddy at the thought of reading that blog the habit of being. it is like when you introduced me to nienie.

perfect for a winter night! get in bed with a lion bar and just read away. besos!

Barb said...

Love the "What I Do" feature, and how neat that you're reading and listening to The Not So Big Life by Sarah Susanka. Consider coming on over to Community Forums on our website, as you continue exploring the book - we'd love to have you join us. You can find us at http://www.notsobiglife.com. Happy Journeys!
Barlynne
Susanka Studios

chris said...

Oh, I so hear you about John Simm...he was in a wonderful mimi-series too called State of Play, which is where my crush was born :)