Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Collection from Nature



Isn't it funny how when you have a new love everything seems to move to support it? Just as we are becoming seriously passionate about our nature display--lovingly curating it, playing with it, photographing it and changing it daily--I come across these inspiring pictures of nature collections in the equally inspiring and wonderful blog In Heywood's Meadow. So now I must post more pictures of our nature collection in all its splendor as of Sunday afternoon. The treasures are growing in number so we had to add a bowl.

The display never stays the same for long. Little hands can't resist touching, piling and rearranging things, new things get found and added, which is precisely my objective. To bring in the beauty and wonder of nature, to appreciate these gifts and incorporate them into our lives, to in ways mimic the eternally changing nature of... well, nature!

I must say that finding the perfect receptacles for the collection has done a great deal to inspire us. I had been searching for months and wanted something organic-looking, in wood or white. Finally, I came across these candle trays at West Elm. I had to get two different ones and love how the light and dark allow us to play with contrasting colors. The slight compartments divide things nicely, but the fact that they are shallow keep our finds visible and prevent us from gathering too much of a good thing. One perfect pine cone is plenty. Then again, one perfect acorn cap is not enough it seems!



8 comments:

Lori said...

gorgeous!!! :^D)

love those trays!! esp. the wood with the white. beautiful!

Lori said...

oop! and thank you very much re: the new blog! :^D)

min'z said...

beautiful. it's amazing what we can do with all these stuff. its inexpensive, naturally beatiful. kinda remind us of the little things that matter in life. :)

btw, i stumbled across your blog. and thought it was interesting. :)

Sam said...

Hello,
Visiting from In Heywood's Meadow.
I love your nature collection display - it looks beautiful. I like that your children are drawn to look at it and interact with it, because it is beautiful.
I have lots of ideas now. Thankyou :-)

Toni said...

I really love those divided dishes! What a great idea.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

I also found your blog via Heywood's Meadow...love your nature collection.

patricia z said...

Hello, from one Patricia to another!

I've been meaning to leave a comment on this post for weeks, ever since finding it via Heywood's Meadow. What a stunning display! Of course I went right over to West Elm's website to hunt down some of my own, only to find that, alas, they don't carry them anymore. But you've inspired me to keep my eyes open for something similar.

I've been enjoying your blog's take on the beauty in daily life. And also your musings on writing, as I write too. It always makes me good + happy to see that you have a new post!

patricia z said...

P.S. I also meant to mention that I loved finding the Annie Dillard quote at the bottom of your page. I'm doing a little essay project on my blog right now, and Annie Dillard is my January esssayist.

It's such a beautiful quote. I've added it to my collection.