Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thinking...


I heard an interview with a Rabbi on the radio. He mentioned two things that struck me:

--We tend to focus on the bad things that have happened to us or worry about the negative possibilities ahead. But just as suddenly and quickly as a bad thing can happen, something wonderful can happen. We can be blessed at the most unexpected moments, but we're never waiting, focusing or hoping for that. Instead we're either waiting for or trying to avoid the bad. I will begin to expect something wonderful to happen at any moment. After all, I have already been blessed a thousand times over, why would I not expect for it to happen again and again and again?
--People's character can be judged by how they handle their money, how they handle their drink and how they handle their anger. I like this last part. It accepts that we all at times feel anger or other less than lovely emotions, but that we have choices in how we handle those feelings. I don't think I have felt true anger towards my children, but I have felt annoyance, exasperation, impatience, boredom... immediately followed by guilt. Now I'm thinking it's okay to feel those things, but that I want to be mindful of how I handle those feelings and how they affect my actions and relationships.

The image is Bliss by Shira Sela. Is she really dancing with joy or running away to have a good old meltdown?

1 comment:

Rowena said...

Great, thoughtful thoughts. I agree with the rabbi. It's so hard always expecting the worst. I wonder what could happen if we expected the best? What if we expected miracles everywhere we went? Would we find them? I suspect we would.

Recently I realized that I don't really recall all the most horrible things in my life. Maybe a moment, here or there embedded itself in my brain, but mostly, the pain dulls and the memory fades. It's the light in those dark times that sticks, I think.

Plus, anger. Normal. Even anger at little kids. (annoyance, frustration, too much yelling.) I have to accept that I'm human and not perfect. And apologize when I do wrong, and help them understand, and allow them their own anger, and teach all of us better ways to deal.