Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mail Kit



This weekend I finally had some time to put together all the little things I had been gathering for Sabrina's mail kit. She is very happy with it and has been showering me and Patrick and the neighbors with mail.

I included blank cards and envelopes in pastel colors, lots of 1-cent and 2-cent stamps and some first-class stamps for "outside the neighborhood" mailing, stickers for decorating the envelopes, a small pencil case with pens and pencils, and Sabrina's very own self-inking return address stamp, probably her favorite part of the kit. It all fits neatly inside the box, a simple tin that is easy for Sabrina to open and close.

Since she can't write much more than her name and a few other words, she mostly draws her correspondence, signing on the back and sometimes asking me to write a note to the recipient. It's a sweet way to pass these summer afternoons and has me thinking I should put together my own kit so I'll start writing little notes to dear ones more often.


6 comments:

Mariah@Playful Learning said...

What a wonderful mail kit! It is amazing to see how children take off with writing when they are given inspiring materials to work with...

Ma Val said...

I just came over fron the Artful Parent, and love this idea. This past year I've helped my daughter make Thank-you notes nad Birthday cards for our/her friends and family. They love them! I hadn't thought to put her needed items all in one kit, so simple and great.

Katrina said...

What a cute idea!!!

Anna - Three Sneaky Bugs said...

Fabulous idea. I know of neighbor girl that I should make this for. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I'm teaching a co-op class to a group of 5-8 year olds on thank you notes and letter writing, and this was so encouraging! Thanks for the good idea of a special kit. Cheers!

susanroweharrison said...

Hi there! I found your blog through the K5 and I love your idea!!!!!!!! My daughter is big into letter writing and I am going to make a kit for her, her cousin, uncle, and two friends that live in Europe to encourage their writing to each other and continuing their friendship. Thank you for such a good idea.

PS I plan to include your letter PDF's too...just what we have been looking for.