I will say yes to my children more often than no.
Because when I asked Sabrina what she wanted to do and she said make chocolate cupcakes my first thoughts were what a pain, we don't have the ingredients, you don't need the sugar, the kitchen is all clean.
But I said okay, and in return got a happy lovely girl and great cupcakes too. And I was right, we didn't have the ingredients to make the frosting, but I melted some chocolate chips to spread on top.
I got the recipe from Baking with Kids--it was much quicker and easier than the Martha Stewart recipe I have used in the past that requires beating the butter forever and adding ingredients one at a time. This recipe is perfect for kids--hand mixing, ingredient dumping, it's all simplified and truly the taste does not suffer much.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons super soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add butter
- Whip eggs in separate bowl and add to first bowl
- Add milk
- Mix all together with spoon until smooth
- Spoon into pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Let cool
- Frost with your favorite frosting or melt some chocolate chips and spread on. Add sprinkles. The chocolate will harden if you put it in the fridge for 5 minutes, or will stay soft if left on counter.