Friday, March 14, 2008

Saying Yes


I will say yes to my children more often than no.

Because when I asked Sabrina what she wanted to do and she said make chocolate cupcakes my first thoughts were what a pain, we don't have the ingredients, you don't need the sugar, the kitchen is all clean.

But I said okay, and in return got a happy lovely girl and great cupcakes too. And I was right, we didn't have the ingredients to make the frosting, but I melted some chocolate chips to spread on top.

I got the recipe from Baking with Kids--it was much quicker and easier than the Martha Stewart recipe I have used in the past that requires beating the butter forever and adding ingredients one at a time. This recipe is perfect for kids--hand mixing, ingredient dumping, it's all simplified and truly the taste does not suffer much.

Recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 unsweetened cocoa
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 7 tablespoons super soft butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
Instructions
  • Preheat over to 350 degrees
  • Mix dry ingredients together
  • Add butter
  • Whip eggs in separate bowl and add to first bowl
  • Add milk
  • Mix all together with spoon until smooth
  • Spoon into pan
  • Bake for 20 minutes
  • Let cool
  • Frost with your favorite frosting or melt some chocolate chips and spread on. Add sprinkles. The chocolate will harden if you put it in the fridge for 5 minutes, or will stay soft if left on counter.

1 comment:

Sarita said...

Yes! I recently read a blog where someone said she says "no" often to her children because that is the way society is....my thought was...I want a "yes!" society so that is what I am going to show my kids!

Thanks for the kid-friendly recipe - I think Felix and I will be cooking together soon!