Thursday, March 6, 2008

Clay Play


We've been experimenting with different commercially available sculpting materials--Play-doh, Model Magic, Sculpey and traditional clay. Each has its pluses and minuses, but they are all great fun to use and are very nice to work with side by side and as a family. There's also something so satisfying about squeezing the stuff, a pleasure I have not felt in a few decades at least. The smell of Play-doh brings back memories!

Most of the pieces in the picture are collaborations between Sabrina and myself. But she's getting more confident on her own and made a ladybug, a pizza pie, a couple of snowmen and a giant carrot for the bunny all by herself.

I love how the animals all seem to be wearing shades!

At Sabrina's school the teachers make huge batches of dough for the children to play with, and I really want to get my hands on their recipe to make at home. How fun would it be to make different colors and have an unlimited supply of dough? I'm thinking it would also be less expensive and safer that the store-bought stuff.

3 comments:

amy said...

Just wanted to say that I have been enjoying reading about your adventures & fun activities with your little ones!

I have a wonderful playdough recipe that I make all the time for home and for my daughters' preschool -- at my blog: http://lets-explore.typepad.com/weblog/2008/02/recipe-homemade.html

:) Enjoy! Amy

Susan said...

I just love your blog- so many great ideas!! Keep 'em coming! :-)

Sheila said...

I have made play dough at home and have been very happy with the results.

If I find the recipe (grin) I'll post it for you.