Monday, January 14, 2008

Making Soup

Sabrina adores cooking and so I've come up with all sorts of ways to include her in my kitchen activities. I often let her work on the floor so she can see what she's doing. Usually we bake together and I also try to let her help when I'm preparing dinner.

She's been making soup in her play kitchen a lot lately so I thought she'd enjoy making this lovely minestrone my sister shared the recipe for. I chopped everything first then let Sabrina transfer into the pot. I also let her dump canned tomatoes, beans and broth into bowls which I then transferred to the pot since it was already hot.

Letting Sabrina work with me means we dirty twice the number of bowls and take twice as long. But it is also more fun for me to cook with my little girl, and makes for clean bowls at dinnertime since Sabrina loves eating things she's made. She also munched on two carrots and some celery while we cooked, so got a healthy snack out of the deal too!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks like fun! I love you blog. Have you considered getting a Kitchen Helper? My 17 month old got one for Christmas, and it has enabled us to involve her in every aspect of kitchen activity. She helps wash dishes, cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and helps unload the dishwasher. It really is a wonderful thing. Check my blog for pictures and more info if you are interested. http://chasingcheerios.blogspot.com

JoAnna said...

I like your idea of working on the floor. So practical. Have you read Stone Soup? Might be fun. We also found a bunch of child size untensil through a Montessori catalog (For Small Hands, I think) that help a lot. They actually have little vegi cutters that are child safe and fun fun fun!

Sunny said...

Hi! I just stumbled onto your blog. It's great! Where did you find the matryoshkas to paint? That looks like a great project!