Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Loving Books




I think I'm developing a minor obsession with children's books and especially with book illustrations. I think it started with a visit to a Brooklyn bookstore during our Thanksgiving trip. See those pictures? My sister and I just about lost it. Mind you it was not just a kids' bookstore, but we didn't buy anything "for ourselves," just "for the children."

The there was the New York Book Review list of best picture books of 2007.

Then I came across artist Julia Rothman's wonderful blog, Book By its Cover. The children's category is my favorite even though all the posts are interesting. I am just itching to pitch our copy of Pinocchio to replace with this one.

Luckily, Sabrina and CC share my new interest (too weak a word, really), and are enthusiastic about spending hours in bookstores and get very excited about new books and illustrations. Our latest love is Gyo Fujikama (see my review of her books on babycenter.com), whose detailed illustrations from the 60's no one in our home can get enough of these days.

I am thinking about doing some kind of regular feature on Good + Happy Day about books and illustrations as a way to continue exploring this topic, deepening my knowledge of children's literature and illustration and sharing my best finds. To start, I would love to learn about and share your favorites, so please leave me a comment!

6 comments:

Mean Mommy said...

Hi! It's Ashley, fellow Momformation blogger who shares your love of children's books (I commented on your
Gyo Fujikawa post over there).

I have so so many favorites, but 2 that come to mind first are Virginia Burton's "The Little House" and Margaret Wise Brown's "Wait Till the Moon is Full."

I could go on and on! Maybe I'll stop back by and do that once I've had a chance to think some more :)

Courtney said...

I love this version of Stone Soup-
http://tinyurl.com/3ahnxe

Courtney said...

That link doesn't seem to work- it's by Jon J Muth...

bridgmanpottery said...

my favorite is the richard scary's best story book ever on your last photo. I went through 3, and my 4 year-old is on his 3rd as well. The detailed, colorful illustrations of animals, plants, insects, and food planted seeds that still spur me to creativity. LOVE it!

Katie said...

I highly recommend The "Harry" books by Mary Chalmers:

Throw a Kiss, Harry, Merry Christmas, Harry and Take a Nap, Harry to name a few. These stories are beautiful but the illustrations are stunning.

amber said...

This is a topic I always enjoy hearing/reading more about. It's so nice to get recommendations or read reviews. My daughter and I love going to the library, but just perusing the shelves isn't always the best way to find the good stuff. It helps to know what you are looking for.

One of my favorites right now is A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry, illustrated by Marc Simont. This book is a Caldecott Medal winner. My daughter and I both love the simple text and illustrations.

We also both like Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young. I enjoy Wilkin's illustrations for some of the same reasons you mentioned Gyo Fujikawa's illustrations on your Momformation post. I will have to check out her books as well.

I can't wait to read more about the good books you and others come across. I think this is a great idea/addition to your blog!