Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Simple and wooden


I love Soule Mama's thoughts on what makes a good toy. I've been dreaming of making some wooden pin dolls so this is just the little push I needed. Those neat little blocks she links to are something to keep in mind too while I'm shopping for the holidays.

Keeping it simple is certainly something Sabrina reminds me of often when she foregoes her toys' conventional uses and decides to upend them, stack them, deconstruct them and pretend they are something entirely different. Blocks become food, beads are paint, toy carts are strollers. Mind you she has real play food, paint and a stroller.

Amanda Blake Soule, aka Soule Mama, has a book coming out next year and I cannot wait to get it. As awesome as the blog world is, I often find myself wishing I could make my favorite blogs into books so I could get cozy with them. Propping my laptop on my tummy in bed is not the comfiest thing I can think of! If the book is anything like the inspiring and thoughtful blog, The Creative Family will be just what I have been dreaming of.

Picture from Nova Natural Toys and Crafts.

1 comment:

SouleMama said...

I know this post is a few months old now, so perhaps you won't see this. But I wanted to say Thank You for your very kind words! I just stumbled across this post, and it put such a smile on my face. It's lovely to know there are so many other parents out there - searching for the same things for our children. Happy New Year to you!
-Amanda