Friday, November 9, 2007

My Madeleine

It's been a cozy afternoon: rainy and cold outside, bright and warm inside. Perfect for special after-nap treats, like these apple fritters my grandma used to make. These were my favorite snack as a child, and I have a very vivid memory of her telling me they were made from the same batter as crepes, which she taught me to cook and which to this day are my favorite food to eat and make.

This was my first time trying to make Jablka w Ciescie (Apples in Batter), and rather than finding a recipe, I just followed my grandma's words and made crepe batter (4 tablespoons flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk) then mixed in 4 small thinly sliced Fuji apples. I fried each fritter in butter in a small pan and sprinkled with sugar before eating. It warmed my heart to share these with Sabrina while telling her about my grandma and my childhood. It was a total madeleine de Proust moment.

2 comments:

Laura said...

And I am sure it warmed Babcia's heart to watch you prepare and share these! Thanks for reminding me...

Good + Happy Day... said...

I hope it did! I have found the cooking is my new favorite way of connecting with the past! Patricia