Monday, November 12, 2007

Mommy's First Cupcakes

Today our home saw its first ever batch of cupcakes made from scratch. Yes, it's true. Not only had I never made cupcakes from scratch before, I had never made cupcakes period, despite the fact that Sabrina has a cupcake fetish and will choose that over any other treat anytime.

My inspiration? A three-year-old with a bad cold and a sweet raspy voice. I asked her what would make her feel better and she answered not "eating cupcakes," which would have sent me to the nearby bakery, but "making cupcakes."

So, guided by Martha (who else?), we made Vanilla Cupcakes and Quick Chocolate Frosting (we halved both recipes). And we can never ever go back. Sorry Magnolia Bakery and Sprinkles... your cupcakes may be pretty but they don't stand up to homemade.

On my list of mommy milestones, making cupcakes from scratch ranks pretty high right now.


3 comments:

Laura said...

And they are delicious! As a Magnolia long-time fan, I can safely say these are serious competition... plus they are made with love! Thanks for a delicious treat.

Allison said...

Wow, that is the start of something big.
I have always baked. I baked as a teenager to relieve boredom. I baked as a twenty-something to impress guests and now I bake as a mother to entertain my daughter.
Next up you need to try some very simple roll out cookies which can be decorated any which way you like.

Good + Happy Day... said...

I'm so glad you liked, Laura!

Allison, roll out cookies are next on my list for Christmas. I am slowly gaining confidence and understanding why people love to bake! If you have a recipe you love, please share!

Patricia