Monday, September 10, 2007

Mis en Place

Ingredients for brownies

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of baking with my mother and grandmother. Yet I haven't grown up to be much of a baker. I lack confidence and find baking quite stressful, which, I've been told by those who love baking, it should be absolutely the opposite of. Me, I check and double check the ingredients and measurements because on more than one occasion I've left something key out or measured 1/2 a cup instead of 1/2 teaspoon. Adding the diversion of a child's help makes for both a bad experience and bad cake.

But of course I want my children to have wonderful memories of us baking together, so during nap time, with no distractions, I focus on measuring, counting and prepping. I assemble my work tools and ingredients like they do on TV, everything neatly lined up and sorted into bowls and cups. Enter little pastry chef Sabrina, refreshed from her nap, ready to exercise her wonderful pouring, mixing and finger dipping talents.

1 comment:

sim-san said...

We love baking too! Victoria especially loves cracking the eggs (she's fascinating with eggs :-). I've learned to have her crack them in a separate bowl first so I can easily retrieve the shells. It gives her a huge sense of accomplishment to bake things with Mommy. We take turns mixing with her turns usually being twice as long as mine :-) We're happy Sabrina enjoys baking too! For Small Hands has kid sized bakeware that cute with kid friendly instructions in case you're interested.